|Annual Cattlemen’s Ball begins 3-foot-tall boot decorating contest for cancer research fundraiser
Photo by: Brad Norton, Kearney Hub
KEARNEY — One of the major fund-raising activities for the 2010 Cattlemen’s Ball June 4-5 at Lori and Norris Marshall acreage southwest of Kearney will be an auction of 3-foot-tall decorated fiberglass Western boots.
Lee Vohland of Gibbon helps unload the more than 50 boots that are part of a fundraiser for the 2010 Cattlemen’s Ball June 4-5 at Norris and Lori Marshalls’ acreage southwest of Kearney.
Many of the plain white boots were delivered Thursday evening at the Viaero Event Center parking lot to some of the 50-plus businesses and individuals who donated $500 to the ball, which has a goal of raising funds primarily for the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Eppley Cancer Center.
Nearly $500,000 was raised at the 2009 ball near Doniphan, of which 90 percent went to the cancer center and 10 percent was used as grants for area towns’ health-care needs.
Becky Forbes of Kearney and Sue Waller of Holdrege are the co-chairwomen for this year’s boot project. Forbes said donors can decorate their own boots or enlist the help of area artists, even schoolchildren, to create their artwork.
Participants are asked to display their finished boots at their business, school or other public venue by May 17.
Cattlemen’s Ball volunteers will collect them on June 2, and ball attendees will vote on their favorites. The top three will be auctioned to raise money for cancer research, and the rest will be returned to their donors.
The donor list includes:
- Ag Service Associates, Holdrege
- Cottonwood Veterinary Clinic
- Crossroads Ford Inc.
- Dave and Roxanne Oldfather
- Fairbanks International Inc., Lexington
- Kearney Implement
- Farm Credit Services of America
- GoLight Inc.
- Health Sciences Club, UNK
- Heartland Hematology & Oncology P.C., Cindy Lewis
- Jill Johnson-Elizabeth Westesen
- J.R.’s Western Inc.-AirFluence Impact Graghix
- Drs. Kent and Linda Blakely
- Orthman Manufacturing
- Overton School
- Platte Valley Auto
- Plum Creek Motors, Lexington
- Psych Club, UNK
- Qdoba Mexican Grill
- T&F Sand and Gravel - Rick Follmer
- Miller Agency, Vern and Jan Miller
- Rocky Mountain Boulder Co., Yutan
- Dr. George and Roxanne Bascom
- Younes Hospitality Hotels
- UNMC-Eppley Cancer Institute, Omaha
- Armagost Financial Group
- Landmark Implement of Minden
- Landmark Implement of Lexington
- Landmark Implement of Holdrege
- Platte River Recovery Implementation Program
- Hilltop Mall
- Birthday Club
- Family Medical Specialties, Holdrege
- Becky Kinnan Gibbens Support Group
- First Tier Bank, Holdrege
- First Bank and Trust Co., Minden
- Trenton Snow
- Kearney Dental Clinic
- Russell’s Appliance
- Luke & Jack’s BBQ-Taco John’s
- Peg Heise-Sheryll Hickman
- Jerry J. and Tami J. Hellman
- Buffalo County Republicans
- Lori and Norris Marshall
- AgWest Commodities
- Morris Press
- Deanna and Fred Bosselman
- Huss Platte Valley Auction
- Bruce Quint, Merrill Lynch
- Pony Express Chevrolet, Gothenburg
- Robb Feed Yard, Doniphan
- Brad Rodgers MD
June 4-5 at Lori and Norris Marshall acreage southwest of Kearney. For more details about the ball, including ticket information, visit the Web site at www.cattlemensball.com.